07 Aug The Hottest Black-Owned Melanin-Friendly Cosmetic Companies Take the Beauty Industry by Storm!
By Cynthia Husband, Contributing Beauty Blogger
The summer is sizzling and Black Girl Magic has been spreading like wild fire. Today, more than ever, women of color are collectively appreciating their various shades of melanin, loudly, proudly and un-apologetically. And, if you haven’t heard, Black women are also now leaders in entrepreneurship and are wasting no time creating many of what are the first products made by Black women, for Black women.
One new epicenter of domination is the ever-evolving beauty scene. Black women no longer have to put up with the frustration of having to settle for the closest foundation shade. Check out these Black-owned makeup brands cater to any and every shade of gorgeous melanin:
- Black Up Cosmetics: http://www.blackupcosmetics.com/?gclid=CJejwo3-jc4CFYRsfgod0jMGbg
- Sacha Cosmetics: http://sachacosmetics.com/
- Juvia’s Place Cosmetics: http://www.juviasplace.com/
- AJ Crimson Cosmetics: http://ajcrimson.com/
- Jay Jill Cosmetics: http://www.jay-jillcosmetics.com/
- Pink Stiletto Cosmetics: http://www.pinkstilettocosmetics.com/
- Beautie Brownie Cosmetics: http://www.beautiebrownie.net/
- Vault Cosmetics: http://www.vaultcosmetic.com/
- Komplexx Blends Cosmetics: http://komplexxblends.com/
- Revel: http://www.revelbyjl.com/
- Spectrum: https://www.spectrumcollections.com/
- Lip Addyct: http://www.lipaddyct.com/
- PNK Digger: http://www.pnkdigger.com/ (Also vegan!)
- Dalynn Cosmetics: http://dalynncosmetics.com/
- SHEEQ Cosmetics: http://www.sheeqcosmetics.com/
- Beauty Bakerie: https://www.beautybakerie.com/collections/lip-whip?gclid=CK_D45OBjs4CFYdrfgod_tYCHw
- MDM Flow: http://www.mdmflow.com/
- IMYB: http://www.danessamyricksbeauty.com/
- The Lip Bar: https://www.thelipbar.com/
- Gold Label Cosmetics: https://gold-label-cosmetics.myshopify.com/
- Vera Moore Cosmetics: http://www.veramoorecosmetics.com/
- Laws Of Nature Cosmetics: http://www.lawsofnaturecosmetics.com/
- Black Opal: https://www.blackopalbeauty.com/
- IMAN Cosmetics: http://imancosmetics.com/foundation?gclid=CJfEsdaCjs4CFQJsfgodfXYF9g
What is also incredibly exciting is that many of these Black-owned makeup brands are healthier for your skin and Mother Earth, ranging from all-natural products, to cosmetics that have a strict “no testing on animals” policy. PNK Digger, is a handmade-brand based in Atlanta whose line is 100% vegan. The owner explains in her website that she adores animals, so all the testing is done on her!
Even if you are not a fan of makeup, and could care less about the contours and highlights of the world, scrolling through these websites will truly inspire you. Upon entering each site, you are greeted with gorgeous photos of Black models, ranging in every Nubian shade of melanin. (If only we had that kind of representation everywhere else!) Many of these Black women also include their stories that will encourage any future business owner.
Buying from Black-owned makeup brands will alleviate frustrations like not being able to find a shade of red lipstick made to compliment your brown skin; And on a much larger scope, buying from these companies also will help to empower the Black Dollar.
We are in the midst of a time that “buying Black” is critical, and here’s why:
“Currently, a dollar circulates in Asian communities for a month, in Jewish communities approximately 20 days, and White communities 17 days. How long does a dollar circulate in the Black community you might ask?
That is UNACCEPTABLE!
African-American buying power is at $1.1 trillion; and yet only 2 cents of every dollar we spend is reinvested into a Black-owned business.
We have the facts, and we are aware of how powerful our dollar is, let’s make it a trend to support our Black women owned-businesses and spread the word!